5.09.2012

April 20, 2012 Yes that is the day that Calder was born. I would say that it was the most amazing day, but I will be completely honest and say it was the most amazing night. The eleven hours that it took for him to come was not amazing, but it was worth it! Jonathan and I were so excited, nervous and just ready! We checked in the hospital at 7:00 am. We signed papers, I changed into a hospital gown and we were getting ready. I took a small pill. My nurse was Jill Wilding, a friend’s mom from Sugar City. At first it was awkward, but in the end I was so glad she was my nurse she made me feel really comfortable. After I took the pill, Dr. Prince showed up soon after. He checked to see how far along I was and decided to break my water. That was interesting! I had water coming out of me for a while! It just kept coming! Then an hour went by. Jill kept coming in and checking me. I was progressing fast. Before I knew it, I was dilated to a five. The contractions were getting intense. I seriously have NO desire to have a baby naturally. I was ready for that epidural. The doctor that did the epidurals took forever to get into my room! I was gripping Jonathan’s hand so hard. I was so grateful to have him there. He really did help me so much. I just stared at him and he just kept me calm and reassured me that I could do it. The epidural was a little difficult to get in. He kept telling me to sit a certain way and I swear I was doing it, but he kept telling me I was doing it wrong, and then I would get a contraction and tense up. It was a crazy moment. I was glad when it was over. The drugs worked though! And to my surprise very fast! I then was able to relax a lot. I even took a nap! The next several hours trickled on. Jill kept coming in and checking me to see how far along I was getting. It was a slow process. Then she said I was dilated to a ten and totally effaced. She wanted me to do some pushing and then call the doctor. I was excited, but I wanted her to call the doctor right then, but I guess she needed to see how my pushing went. Well I pushed for a LONG time! There was so much pressure down there, and I felt I would push so hard every time, but Calder was not coming out on his own. Dr. Prince showed up, and I could tell he was a little concerned. He kept asking me how tired I was and if I was able to do this. I kept telling him I could do it, but eventually he had to get a vacuum tool to help get Calder out because he was not coming on his own. Those two hours plus of pushing were SO hard. I kept looking at Jonathan, and I saw him say multiple prayers while he was holding my leg. I was so worried about Calder and wanted to make sure his heart rate was ok. They kept reassuring me he was fine, so I kept pushing. Finally he was out! They put him on my chest, and Jonathan and I cried a little. It was so amazing. I was so relieved, but so thrilled and excited. He was so handsome with tons of dark hair. He weighed 8 pounds 2 ounces and was 20 inches long. And he was all mine! The hospital experience was interesting, but good. We had some nurses that were interesting, but for the most part it was just me, Jonathan and Calder in the room. I tore to the third degree so I was in some pain, but I loved holding my little baby. He had a hard time latching on to breast feed, so I was stressed and scared. I am always stressed when it comes to me doing the right things for Calder. I really want to do the best job ever! We brought Calder home two days later. I was scared to bring him home. That first night I did not sleep a wink. I was too worried about Calder. We found out that Calder had Jaundice and he would have to go to the doctor everyday and get blood drawn to check his levels. He was circumcised as well. Poor little guy! I cried one time at the doctor’s office because I could not help it. I hate watching him cry, even though Calder was extremely tough and hardly cried at all. Well he was on a biliblanket for days because his Jaundice was so bad, but eventually he got better without having to go to the hospital thankfully. He is extremely spoiled. I hold him all the time. I need to start training him to sleep in his crib and not my arms! We will get there though! It has been a crazy few weeks, but we are doing so much better! I love this little baby so much, and I love Jonathan too. We have such a sweet family and are incredibly blessed! I hope that I may do the best I can, and that my Heavenly Father will continue to give me revelation to raise this little boy!